Friday, June 20, 2008

YSA Conference

Tonight I went to part of the YSA Conference that is all weekend long. I got to see Corbin Allred speak to us about his life and he played us some songs too. I thought he looked familiar, but I had no idea what he was on. He's been on Teen Angel and Sabrina the Teenage Witch as well as other movies. I really like his character. He hasnt gotten lost in the Hollywood environment and seems pretty grounded. He spoke about this one experience that he had with a girl that he met and he said that she looked down. He approached her and talked to her for a good 10 minutes. The girl ended up telling him all these problems in her life and he just listened. He felt that he was really connected to her and felt so compassionate for her. Long story short he said keep your head up and know that you are loved and people do care about you etc. etc. Come to find out a couple days later the high school counselor from her school called Corbin's mom up and said that this particular girl doesn't need to come in to see him anymore because she said she is all better. That story (told so much better by Corbin) was so touching. He said he basis his life off of 3 words. "You never know." You never know what kind of influence you have in other people's lives. It inspired me to be better and more in tune so that I can help others because "you never know."

Another great thing about Corbin is that when his carrier in LA was taking off, he faithfully served a 2 year mission. He told a story that one time him and his buddies were at some function and they got to meet Elder Monson at the time. Elder Monson shook their hands with a firm handshake and said I know who you are. Instead of asking about his carrier or anything else, he asked those boys where they served their missions. Corbin froze. Did I serve a mission? I remember going to Australia. Finally he said yes and he was so thankful that he could stand there in from of Elder Monson and say that he served a mission.




Later that night we also got a treat to hear from the talented pianist Mr. Jon Schmidt. Wow was I blown away by him. I recognized a few songs of his and just couldn't put my recorder down. I wish I could play the piano. What a beautiful sound. I am definitely making my children play!!!


It was a great night and I am glad I went...

No comments: