Friday, June 20, 2008

A special visitor

For the past couple weeks I have been privileged to be accompanied by a pair of songbirds. A few times a day I hear tapping on my window and i wonder if it is trying to get my attention, if it really wants in or if its starving! Once I saw it perched on my windowsill it's breath was on the window...cute! Well now that this is a daily occurrence we have become very fast friends and I decide to get to know my fine furry friend a little better. Come to find out its mating season! Go figure! This is what I learn....


"Birds attack shiny surfaces because they see their own reflections. In the case of a window, the bird does not see through the glass: it sees a reflection of the outside, possibly trees and the sky, and another bird of its own species. The real bird does not recognize itself and mistakes the reflected bird for a competitor for territory or mates. It attacks the image in the window, trying to drive the other bird away. Of course, this is a fruitless exercise. The real bird often returns many times, compulsively launching itself at the window. If it is very aggressive, it could damage its beak, but most often it just wastes energy and time."

Romantic? I think so.

4 comments:

THE CROMAR FAMILY said...

I am so glad to actually see posts on your blog! I will be a regular stalker. Miss you and come visit us.

Krista

Outnumbered Three To One said...

That's an interesting fact. And to think that you were starting to feel special.... ahhh! P.S. When are you going to post some pics from Palm Springs? I'm so jealous.

Leslie Sandberg said...

I know I thought it was some kind of omen!!! :) I have some blogs that i need to do and will do them when i get home. I will fill your cup soon, don't you worry!

The Nicolaysens said...

Leslie! I'm glad you found my blog and now we can keep in touch! Hope things are going well for you and I will also be a regular stalker of your blog :) Talk to you later!